About Me

My photo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Life and the creative process are about the journey, not the destination. I love working with colour and texture and can get totally 'lost' in the creative process. Variety keeps my creative juices flowing. We are currently traveling full time in a 40' motorhome and bouncing between visits with a son in Albuquerque NM and a son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter in Calgary AB. In between we are busy exploring this great continent on which we live. It's a challenge working from my mobile studio but I am using our travel time to learn new skills and refine existing ones.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Socks, Socks, Socks!

1st & 2nd pair - 2009 - 2010
In January 2009 we headed out for a epic journey in our motor home and knowing my inability to sit for long periods of time without something to do with my hands, I made a stop at the local yarn shop before our departure.  At that point in time I hadn't had knitting needles in my hands for at least 20 years and I had never tackled 'socks' - lots of sweater, hats, afghans - but no socks!  That winter I completed my first pair and if you didn't look closely the 'different' heels weren't noticeable.  They have served me well now for three winters and before Christmas I happened to notice that they were getting thin on the toes.  Oh - oh!  What to do?  I checked the toes of a subsequent pair of socks and they too were getting thin on the toes - but not the heels! 


3rd pair gifted 2010 - 4th pair 'Hallowe'en' above 2011
As I completed my fourth pair - my fall 2011 pair in hallowe'en colors - I mulled over what to do and after a bit of research decided to take a different approach for each pair.  One pair I did a duplicate stitch in the worn area, the second pair I ripped out the toes and reknit the toes using both the old yarn and a new strand - double thickness.  I think I like this method better than using the duplicate stitch, one of the suggested reinforcing methods I found.
My 'hallowe'en' socks were a toe up pattern from Cat Bordhi's book "Personal Footprints" and I really like the fit of that pair.  I was too far along to 'reinforce' the toes but as the 'kroy' sock yarn I used is heavier than the yarn previously used I will see if they outwear pairs one and two.  Bonus - the yarn was 99 cents a ball in a clearance bin in Michael's last fall - $2 socks!

5th pair - a keeper at $2!

Since Christmas I have completed another pair of socks from 'Kroy' wool, this time using several patterns to get what I wanted.  Last year I knit a pair of socks for a gift and used the short heel shaping and discovered that for my foot this heel shaping just wasn't enough 'depth' for my high arch as this stitch pattern doesn't have a lot of give to it.  However I loved the mock cable design in the pattern - the Nutkin Sock on www.Knitzi.com.  I just did a narrow band of ribbing at the top rather than the fold over, proceeded with the leg design but when I got to the heel I consulted another of my reference books "Sock Knitting Master Class by Ann Budd and  used the instructions for the heel flap with the standard Sl 1, K1 reinforcing stitch.  Although I don't wear out the heels it was a chance to try a new technique.  I completed the sock with a side decrease and kitchener stitch bind-off.  I was just completing the second sock when I made my toe discovery!

So on to yet another pair of socks!  This pair is back to a toe up pattern form Cat Bordhi's book but this time I am trying something new.  Instead of using Cat's toe shaping I used a reinforced toe pattern that I found while researching repair methods.  It basically is a round toe and used the same reinforcing stitch as the heel on my previous pair.  I think I'm going to like it.

Do you get the idea that I'm hooked on knitting socks?  I'm still fascinated with the variety of technique used for shaping and it's a great way to try out new stitch patterns....and my feet love the warmth when the weather is cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment